You are here
USA National Phenology Network
The USA National Phenology Network was established in 2007 to collect, store, and share phenology data and information. History of the USA-NPN.
The USA National Phenology Network (USA-NPN)
The USA National Phenology Network consists of a National Coordinating Office (NCO), thousands of volunteer observers and many partners, including research scientists, resource managers, educators, and policy-makers. Anyone who participates in Nature’s Notebook or collaborates with NCO staff to advance the science of phenology or to inform decisions is part of the USA-NPN.
Nature’s Notebook is a national phenology program in which professional and citizen scientists record long-term observations of plant and animal life stages.
The National Coordinating Office
The efforts of the USA-NPN are organized and directed by the staff of the National Coordinating Office (NCO), located at the University of Arizona. The NCO connects people to phenology by (1) offering tools for understanding phenology, including the Nature's Notebook phenology observation program (2) providing timely and relevant phenology data and data products and (3) facilitating Communities of Practice by linking observers, Local Phenology Leaders, researchers, resource managers, and educators.
Specifically the NCO:
- Offers standardized approaches to monitoring phenology
- Promotes the collection of high-quality long-term phenology observations
- Maintains a national phenology information system, including Nature’s Notebook and the National Phenology Database
- Assists federal agencies and other organizations in implementing Nature's Notebook on the ground according to their scientific, management, or educational objectives
- Provides phenology data products and decision support tools
- Facilitates phenology “Communities of Practice”
- Communicates the value of phenology to participants and the public
The USA-NPN is an award-winning network:
Outstanding Achievement Award, Renewable Natural Resources Foundation, 2017
Climate Champion, US Geological Survey, 2016
Greening the Department of the Interior, Honorable Mention, US Department of the Interior, 2016
Shoemaker Award in Communications Excellence, US Geological Survey, 2014
Television series that have featured the USA-NPN and Nature's Notebook include:
The Crowd and the Cloud, "Citizens4Earth" episode, 2017
SciGirls, Public Broadcasting Corporation, "Flower Power" episode, 2015