You are here
Call for Submissions: The Local Phenology Program PhenoChampions Award!
The National Coordinating Office (NCO) of the USA National Phenology Network recognizes the outstanding achievements of our Local Phenology Program Partners with the annual PhenoChampions Award!
The 2021 Annual PhenoChampions Award Submission is now open!
We know there is a great deal of work that goes into planning and executing a long-term phenology monitoring program and we are so proud of the many LPLs (Local Phenology Leaders) who have successfully been working to build them.
We are pleased to announce the call for the annual PhenoChampions Award! Do you think your program has what it takes? We are seeking top-notch examples of programs to serve as role models for others just beginning their Nature's Notebook phenology monitoring journey.
There are many programs using Nature's Notebook monitoring for research AND education to answer local phenology-related questions.
To qualify entrants must be established Local Phenology Programs (LPPs) with functional Groups in the Nature's Notebook online monitoring system.
Program submissions must include:
- Two years' worth of consistent data (weekly, monthly, or at least more than one season for 2020 and 2021) submitted to the National Phenology Database via Nature's Notebook by observers for the Group. NCO staff will verify data submissions in the database.
- A 500-word narrative describing the work undertaken by the program.
- A short list of the Program's short-, medium-, and long-term outcomes. Special consideration will be given to LPPs who have projected evaluation plans through the end of 2022.
- Completion of the 2021 Annual Survey for Active Local Phenology Programs
- An impact statement for the work undertaken during the most recent monitoring year. This impact statement should be submitted via the Nature's Notebook webform.
- A letter of support by an observer or a partner (other than the person submitting the Program for consideration) describing the community or observer engagement benefits experienced via their participation.
- A photo or other media piece (a video, podcast, etc.) depicting the program and the work being done.
Entrants should use the below webform to officially submit their Program for consideration. You must be logged into a Nature's Notebook account to view the form. Submissions may be made by Local Phenology Leaders, observers, partners, staff, or other Program participants.
Friday, February 11th, 2022 at 5pm Pacific Time.
The winning Program will be chosen by the staff of the NCO. Selection criteria include documentation of all of the requirements for the award and the quality of the narrative and of the stated outcomes, as well as a compelling letter of support.
Winners will receive a plaque recognizing their achievement and their choice of:
- A Nature's Notebook gear package (hats, water bottles, t-shirts, clipboards, etc with the Nature's Notebook logo) suitable for up to 10 observers and/or staff
- A customized outdoor sign developed by our graphic designer that can be installed along a Phenology Walk or Trail with a map of the plants marked for observation or designated site to look for animals.
Both of those awards are a $350 value.
The winning program will also be highlighted in upcoming newsletters and on our Groups using Nature's Notebook webpage. The NCO will promote the work the LPP has done at conferences during the upcoming 12 months.
Award Program Timeline
- December 13th, 2021- January 28th, 2022 - Call for LPL Annual Report submissions
- December 13th, 2021 - Call for PhenoChampions award submissions
- February 11th, 2022 - Deadline for submission of PhenoChampions Award application package
- February 25th, 2022 - Announcement of the 2021 PhenoChampions Award Winner!